What kind of benefits am I entitled to when I am involved in an auto accident

What kind of benefits am I entitled to when I am involved in an auto accident

If you have ever been in a car accident and you have been injured one of your first
thoughts and concerns are who is going to pay for my medical bills? New York is a no-
fault state and the basic premise goes something like this. It doesn’t matter who is at
fault for the accident, the vehicle that you are in at the time of the accident covers your
medical bills up to $50,000 per accident. In addition, the insurance for the vehicle you
are in covers your lost wages up to 80% of what you were making up to a maximum of
$2,000 per month. In theory, the other 20 percent of wages is covered under New
York’s law providing short term disability benefits. If you are a pedestrian or a bicyclist
your right to recover these same benefits come from the vehicle that hit you.

As a driver, occupant or pedestrian involved in an accident it is comforting to know that
No Fault benefits protect you regardless of who is at fault for the accident.

Lost wages and medical bills that exceed the limit of $50,000 total coverage limit are not
covered under the No Fault law. There is one exception. Some policies have additional
coverage for lost wages and medical bills, known as APIP (Additional Personal Injury
Protection) which can be purchased by the policyholder to provide additional No Fault

If you have lost wages or have questions regarding medical bills after a vehicle
accident, it is in your best interests to contact an experienced Personal Injury Atttorney.
Contact The Fastman Law Group, P.C., attorney Harley Fastman, who has over 20
years experience handling No Fault Cases.

No Comments

Post A Comment